Avatars and Identity (Part 1)

There's a blogger challenge thing going around.  People are looking back at how they looked in their newbish days.  I've wanted to do a post like this for a while, and a combination of the challenge and nostagia from the end of a decade has given me the push I needed.  See, as a furry, my SL identity is linked closely to the avatar I wear.  More than clothes, more than a skintone, more than hair.  With the right avatar, I feel like "me".   So here begins part one of the history of my quest for "me" in SL.

When I first joined SL, I didn't stick around long.  For the two or three days I was on, I was a human avatar with system hair, system shoes, and system skin.  Oh, and angel wings (partially due to my aversion to playing human characters, and partially because of the name I picked).  I didn't pick the furry avatar at signup because... well, I still have nightmares about those eyes.  At this point in time, the quality of free avatars a newbie fur could hope for was.... yeah.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/timechaser/Snapshot_048.png  So I ran off to IMVU, where I made stuff for a good while.

When things at IMVU went sour (trust me, IMVU staff makes Linden Labs look like a gift from above), a few friends and I jumped back into SL.  I was extremely fortunate this time around because Wingless Emoto's free avatars were just begining to make the rounds.  So now, with friends to roam the grid with and finally furry, I stuck around.




Now that I was enjoying SL, I felt comfortable enough to buy some lindens. The Wingless avatar was nice, but it didn't feel right.  And it was a little too "toony" for my tastes.  Actually, most furry avatars at the time tended to look really cartoonish.  The only one with enough realism for my taste was the Werehouse.


history2
Continued beyond the break
I'm not going to start on my tastes in hair back then... at least I'd already been introduced to Bare Rose.  That outfit, Zashiki Warashi, was the very first B@R outfit I bought.  No, I didn't know what a skirt shape was back then.  Due to the relatively realistic nature of the avatar, sometimes I didn't even wear hair, going instead for a more "feral" look.


history3


Even at the time, the werehouse avatar was a little dated, but it felt more "me" than anything else I'd been able to find at the time, and I had a lot of love for that avatar.  However, soon the sheer number of avatars available in SL started to get to me.  I became an avatar addict.  My first spontaneous purchase was a fennec fox by Lost Furest, mostly because although the species was wrong, the colors and large ears weren't far off


history5


More B@R clothes.  And no, don't adjust your monitor, my hair-adjusting abilities really were that bad.  The hair was from Gurl6.  I had a lot of Gurl6 hair back then... >>


history4


 Yes, more Gurl6 hair.  And another Lost Furest avatar.  This was released durring the Easter after I returned to SL, and when I first saw it, the head of this avatar just blew me away.  Even two years later, the Bunneh avatar still looks good.  The clothing is from WRONG, who'd been having a sale with the entire store marked down.  I think that aside from Bare Rose, WRONG made up most of my inventory.


history8


Yes, I own a Aventity fox.  Even though now I'm so sick of seeing them that I kinda want to punch them in the face >>  The number one reason I bought it was because this avatar had the best digitigrade legs at the time.  Also I really liked getting new avatars.

At this point, I was ready to settle down and commit to an avatar.  I ended up going back to Werehouse, but this time I bought a matching "Critter" or feral avatar, seen HERE. Technically, it was a coyote and not a wolf, but red wolves and coyotes are cousins, so it was okay.  My hybrid of the anthro avatar with the critter head turned out really nice, in my opinion.


history7

Because the head consisted mostly of a muzzle attached to the default avatar head, fitting hair was incredibly easy.  This allowed me to explore different creators and find favorites.  I was also wearing a lot of Little Heaven clothing at this time.  I'd had an interest in EGL fashion before I came to SL, and I was finally starting to learn about different EGL-themed stores in world.

My love affair with my combination Werehouse avatar lasted for quite a while.  I felt very comfortable in my avatar, and felt no need to change.  Until I went to the AnthroXtacy wolf release party.  I hadn't really meant to buy a new avatar, but I just looked at the vendor and it felt extremely.... me.  I bought it right away, and quickly put it on.  As soon as I put on red hair, even though I had yet to mod the shape, even though I thought the leg prims needed changes, I felt more like myself than I had ever felt before in SL.


history9


The head was difficult to fit hair to, but fortunately my modding abilities had improved since my earlier days.  I ended up recoloring the legs from the Werehouse avatar because I thought the bulkier legs looked better with my short and curvy shape.  Durring this time I discovered most of the stores I still love dearly, and really became active in SL.

I stuck with my AX wolf for nearly a year, an eternity in SL.  Eventually, though, it started showing its age in comparison to newer creations.  And that's where part 2 will pick up.  Eventually >>

Here come the credits... Some of these stores may have closed, or changed names.

Picture one:
Avatar/hair: Wingless Emoto
Dress: Asian Inspirations

Picture two:
Avatar: Werehouse
Hair: Ravenwear
Dress: Bare Rose

Picture four:
Avatar: Lost Furest
Hair: Gurl6
Dress: Bare Rose

Picture 5:
Avatar: Lost Furest
Hair: Gurl6
Outfit: WRONG

Picture 6:
Avatar: Aventity
Hair: LALA Moon
Outfit: Goth1c

Picture 7:
Avatar: Werehouse
Hair: Calico Ingman Creations
Dress: Little Heaven

Picture 8:
Avatar: AnthroXtacy (old avatar, but it's still available at the HQ only)
Legs/feet: Werehouse
Hair: House of Munster
Outfit: Silentsparrow

0 comments: